Wells was founded in 1913 by Fred H. Wells when he purchased a horse, a delivery wagon, a few cans and jars,
and the good will of the business from Ray Bowers, a dairy farmer in Le Mars, Iowa -- all for $250. The
original contract granted Fred H. Wells the milk distribution route and also guaranteed a source of raw milk
from Mr. Bower's herd of fifteen milk cows.
Around 1925, Fred H. Wells and his sons began manufacturing ice cream in Le Mars, Iowa. As the popularity of
their ice cream grew, they quickly branched out and began distributing their frozen confections in Remsen and
Alton the following year. In 1927 Fred H. Wells and his brother, Harry C. Wells, began a partnership to distribute
ice cream in Sioux City, Iowa, located about 25 miles south of Le Mars. In 1928 Fairmont Ice Cream purchased the ice
cream distribution system in Sioux City from the Wells' brothers along with the right to use the Wells' name.
Seven years later, in 1935, the Wells' brothers decided to again sell ice cream in Sioux City. No longer able to use
the name "Wells," the brothers decided to run a "Name That Ice Cream" contest in the Sioux City Journal. A Sioux City
man won the $25 cash prize for submitting the winning entry, "Blue Bunny," after noticing how much his son enjoyed the
blue bunnies in a department store window at Easter time.
Wells is now the world's largest family owned and managed ice cream producer. As the world's largest manufacturer of
ice cream in one location, Wells has made Le Mars, Iowa, the "Ice Cream Capital of the World."